Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: This got me hooked. luv your w-bin - here's what i might use

Hi Freddyi

Yes, I still play, not in bands like the old days but every so often with CD’s, daughter on guitar and friends.
That looks like one of them ‘Lunamum neck jobbies is it?
Never played one of those I have to say although I like the idea.
That yours?

In the way old days I bought an EB-0 from a store, with my mom signing for the payments and such. Took forever to pay off too it seemed.
I bought a good copy of a les paul recording bass later in the 70’s, that was before the Gibson lawsuit stopping such exact copies, anyway it was my favorite.

At this point, I don’t remember where the EB-0 went, the band broke up finally, I had to sell the les paul copy to fix my car and playing music was over..

That is until about 15 years ago, I was daydreaming about the old days and for some reason associated the cone reinforcing process I used on the Servdrive cone assemblies and it dawned on me that I might be able to fix a cracked guitar neck the kind of the same way.
I bought a couple Junkers off E-bay for really cheap (having cracked or full broken necks) and experimented.

Anyway, after I got the hang of it, I found an EB-3 in sorta decent shape but with a cracked neck and bought it. After fixing, it has become my favorite, especially played through a compressor, it has a percussive sound like nothing else.
In the following years I found a Tobias 5 string neck thru (nice looking with a cracked neck) and a real Les Paul recording bass (with a cracked neck, broken headstock, thick layer of filth, lots of scratches) which is still in process.

In the way old days I had a couple different W bin also for gigs.
The best sounding was the “beast”, it was a minimum (hand power saw)cut design, was 23 7/8 by 23 7/8 by 49 1/2 tall.
Thinking “cheap”, I made that one out of ¾ particle board (read 96 lb /sheet)and there were no corners or handles.
It was loaded with four Heppner 12 inch drivers, beefy (heavy) for the time.
The flat black latex paint was especially flattering once it got good and worn, particle board doesn’t travel so well. People also aren't that careful with things they are swearing at so it got pretty beat up looking.
On its last job, we were playing at a Frat house party in a big, deep basement near Northwestern U.
There were lots of happy Frats to help tote the gear, eh, pretty cool.
Looked like a good party, made seemingly serious eye contact with a couple of females in the audience but they were long gone when we quit.
Hey, now that it is 2:30 AM there were very few Frat boys, well moving much anyway.
I packed up my bass, lifted down the head and thought about the long flight of stairs and the “beast”, that it will take 4 people to get it to the top and how tired I was.
There were some people that hung around the band, one of these guys really liked the hugeness of the beast or something. I said, hey, you want the beast?. He said sure man, I said ok its yours, why don’t you come back and get it later.
Anyway, not a noble finish I suppose.
Is that your rig in the photo?
Best,
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.