Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Non-linearities in horns

Regarding the current topic, which is loudspeaker non-linearities, my point is that if one were to be objective, they would find that all the same non-linearities that caused a direct radiator to become non-minimum phase also cause a horn loudspeaker to be non-minimum phase. That doesn't make anything a "show stopper" except of course, marketing blather.

About the MLK spreadsheets, the beauty of them is they model standing waves in transmission lines with driver offset. They are able to calculate nodes at 1/4, 3/4, etc and this allows the DIY builder to position the driver some distance down the line to reduce notches from standing wave nodes. The flare is able to be modeled too, although the fold isn't considered, which will matter at higher frequencies if you make a folded horn. Still, the advanced spreadsheet is very close to being able to model exactly the configuration of your tapped horn. I would have thought this would be interesting to the DIY community, and flattering to you.

Martin King said he hadn't made a spreadsheet specifically to model your "tapped horn" but did say he thought his spreadsheet would just need to be modified slightly for that purpose. He went on to say he didn't think he wanted to make a spreadsheet that would model it exactly because he wasn't sure there was any value in doing so.

Quoting MJK from here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=879165#post879165

I thought about the problem yesterday and concluded that a worksheet to model this type of enclosure is possible. It would require some rearranging and extension of the math but I believe it could be done. Unfortunately, it is not on my list of priorities and can only be classified as something interesting to look at if I ever run out of things to work on (there are a few other enclosures on that list also).

So let me ask a couple of questions :

1. What is special about the performance of this design compared to a classic TL?

2. What performance advantages does it offer?

3. Where is this design used and over what frequency range?

If there is some performance advancement possible with this geometry that would be interesting, if this is just an old design cobbled together by a very creative thinking individual that sounded good compared to state of the art at that point in time then I am not sure this is worth pursuing. Is the Jensen Transflex just another Karlson or Hageman style of exotic, outside the norm, or curiousity enclosure that appeals to a small group of enthusiasts or is it truely a high performance design that has fallen through the cracks?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Non-linearities in horns - V 16:24:13 02/26/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.