Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: What could be done to improve the subjective nature of bass reflex boxes?

Other than the obvious use of large and/or multiple low distortion drivers in sealed Q .6 (or so) boxes... ?

For bass reflex, a tower BR (now AKA MLTL) with a large ducted rectangular port on the bottom has worked well for me several times. My old MO was to design an EBS sort of alignment where the midbass is just starting to sag from oversized-ness, and make the thing ~ a meter tall or so to add some 1/4w oomph in the midbass. These days, it'd be dumb not to optimize with MJK's sheets. This sort of box seems to me to sound tighter than standard aspect golden ratio boxes, and has more bass extension.

Another variant is the corner loaded BR. It's just a trapezoidal box with a vent in the bottom/back. The corner horn loads the vent. There are a couple vintage plans for this floating around. I tried it with a 414 and got very deep and natural sounding bass.

Only tried one 'onken' type - original 'ultraflex'. Musical and warm, and perhaps a bit colored because of the large panels.

Nothing more to say about karlsons.. ;)

GB

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.