Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: try this

Well, if you notice some improvement with a 6db filter then I'd certainly go with a higher-slope filter and see if it helps! 12db/octave seems to be the minimum for horn-loaded applications. If you have a 6db filter at 120hz and you want 110db peaks, then you're asking the Lowther to vibrate at 104 db at 60hz totally unloaded. I would a) raise the XO point to 150hz, and b) see if you can add at least one more pole somewhere for 12db. Within a tube signal chain there's usually something somewhere that you can try. Or, just stick an additional capacitor on the Lowther itself. It might not sound good but you'll be able to tell if there's progress to be made in this direction.

For those kinds of high levels, I'd try a 18db/octave filter at 150hz before pitching the Lowthers out completely. With a little creativity you can probably introduce three poles somewhere in the amplification chain without being too intrusive. Or, borrow an adjustable electronic crossover and see what happens. It'll kill the tone but you'll see if the driver acts better at high levels.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.