Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions!

There's a lot of way to go, I can tell. Some are quick and easy, some are a lot more work. I have to think this over. That Orpheus system looks appealing to me right now. 112 dB sensitivity! I can use any amp on that one.

I would have to update my bassbins which are a 10" paper cone driver in an Onken cabinet powered by 100W of SS. I used cement board inside the cabinet to brace it better and the bass quality is actually amazingly good. The amps are subwoofer amps that only go to 160 Hz. For an Orpheus, that needs 225 Hz. So a modification or a new bassbin altogether would be necessary.

The bad news is I don't have as big a footprint as I would like for this speaker. The Oris 150 I have right now is tight already, and a lot of it helps by having a relatively small bass bin. Large bass horns would be desireable, but some just won't fit in my home.

I wonder what the dimensions are for the Edgarhorn Titans, and if that's a footprint that's a bit too big. I'm trying to get the speaker to work with a 45 SET, only 1.5W per channel, but biamping is still okay. That's where the Orpheus seems to solve all the problems. It's just a bit of my time to get it together, just like the case of painting the Oris horn, etc.

I know Fostex makes speakers that don't have that shouting property that Lowthers do. But they are also not as transparent, either. Tough call there.

I'll keep thinking, but I like the idea of the Orpheus so far.

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.