Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Thread Hijacking Continues... Re: Passive Crossover

Hi George,

It's my pleasure to chat with you about speakers. I think most others at this forum have already forgotten about this thread so perhaps you don't have to keep feeling guilty about hijacking. ;-)

Since you had your mind set on the FX120, go ahead and try it. I know that feeling of wanting a particular toy. ;-)

As to SET, you can treat the output impedance of the amp and the speaker impedance as forming a voltage divider. Thus, when the speaker impedance gets higher either towards the low frequency resonance or in the high range, the speaker gets more of the amp output. For most drivers, this will have the effect of boosting both the bass and the treble. It's like pushing in the "Loud" button on a receiver. In other words, the amp becomes a tone-control, and the effect is speaker dependant. In the case of FX120, I don't think that is an effective way to fix the HF rolloff, as the impedance rise is too gradual to compensate for the rolloff. You'd end up with a rising response in the mid and most of the high and then the rolloff before reaching 20KHz. Perhaps you'd like such a tonal balance, but it is not flat, which I think is what you desire theoretically.

I don't dislike 4th-order crossovers per se. Nevertheless, I am not certain about how the increased phase distortion associated with a high-order crossover might impact the sound so I'd rather keep the crossover simple. Linkwitz, however, thought that the phase distortion of a LR4 crossover is not audible at either 100Hz or 1400Hz. http://www.linkwitzlab.com/phs-dist.htm

Well, I guess we have extended this thread long enough. Time for you to build something! Let us know how the FX120 OB project turns out.

Best,

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thread Hijacking Continues... Re: Passive Crossover - KCHANG 15:11:52 02/22/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.