Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Supravox 2 way OBs: Please comment on this idea (Duke: please don't laugh at me!)

Yes, Supravox 215 EXC OB, 400 EXC OB sound FABULOUS!!!!!

Capilano hornspeakers of Langley, B.C. has built a prototype DIPOLE speaker using the incredible Supravox 215 EXC OB mid range and 400 EXC bass driver in an open baffle along with a Fountek pro 5.1 supertweeter wired in parallel with the 215. Fountek tweeter is placed horizontally in the baffle to improve wave launch characteristics of the tweeters. The dimensions of the baffle are 20" x 46" with wings measuring 4" at the top, scalloping out to 16" on the bottom to improve bass wave launch.

We have compared these OBs to Oris 150 Horns with AER MD III and Altec 416a bass drivers (we produce the Oris in cooperation with B. Doppenberg), Avante Garde Duos and Trios, Achapellas and numerous other high end speakers. The Supravox OBs clearly out perform them all. Fantastic dynamics, great frequency extension (+/- 3db down at 25 hz), superb wonderfully effortless presentation, natural sounding mids and high with great air around instruments giving you that terriffic "you are there" listening experience.

Our experience has shown us that once you introduce additional drivers into a baffle such as we have, you change the objectives from maximizing the frequncy response of ONE driver to integrating and optimizing the positive sonic features of several drivers to achieve an overall coherent, exceptionally musical and emotionally involving sound presentation. This also reduces the critical nature of Qts measurments in favor of correctly integrating the three drivers using carefully selected low and high pass filters to optimize overall integration of speakers based on the frequency response characteristics.

The Supravox dipole speakers deliver this in spades!!!!!!!!!!!!

***See pic of Capilano Supravox dipole prototype now on Audiogon or email me for pics. The production version of this dipole is a bit different for aesthetic reasons but the fundamentals remain unchanged. Feel free to email me qith questions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.