Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Cabinet recommendations for Altec 515 drivers welcome.

Hi George,

Nice set of "old" parts that you got!

The first thing it reminded me of was Tom Brennan's A5's that he had when he lived in Chicago. Produced wonderful sound from 100hz - 10Khz. Bass was supplemented with 4 additional 15's.

I've seen people use the Onken cabinet but never heard one in person. I believe it's just a "glorified" bass reflex cabinet (my opinion). You could probably use one of the free speaker builder calculators to determine a box that will satisfy your needs (sealed or ported).

I have also heard these can sound good on an open baffle.

Now I use the 515B in custom Altec 825 cabinets and the midbass/midrange is incredible but the cabinet size is a waste for what it is doing (only 120hz - 800hz). You could get the same results using your own horn design or something from Bruce Edgar that is probably half the size.

A few things to remember:

1) The 515 (especially the early one you have) is not really meant to be a low bass driver and you may need to supplement the low end with something else (if you desire low bass).

2) Your probably going to have to attenuate the 288 to match the 515 (more so in a typical enclosure than with a horn).

3) Some people use a tweeter above 10-12Khz where the 288 drops.

I'm sure others will give you some more feedback as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes (hopefully with some pictures of the end result).

Alfredo

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Cabinet recommendations for Altec 515 drivers welcome. - ALFREDO 08:36:12 02/20/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.