Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

What is a reasonable frequency response to shoot for?

It would seem ideal to have a speaker measure flat within a fairly large range (100 to 10khz or better). Assume on axis in free space measuring. But when I look at graphs, either posted here or at speaker web sites, the graphs are nowhere near this.

So what is reasonable to expect? I mean if I can put something together and have it stay within 3dB should I consider myself very lucky or a dismal failure? How good is good enough and how bad is too bad? I am looking for general guide lines.

Which would be more desirable, a speaker that was very flat on axis but not so great off axis or a speaker that wasn't as flat on axis but nearly the same off axis?

And last but not least, assuming I can get something to measure well in free space, what is a tolerable in-room response? I am sure many of us can't afford the luxury of a well treated, dedicated listening room. Should I be flipping out over a 6dB (how about 12dB?) peak or dip? How bad before one should consider a digital EQ system as "required"?

Russ
P.S. Is it smarter to intentionally have a non-flat measuring speaker (in free air) to arrive at a better in-room sounding speaker? Perhaps rising low bass and falling high treble?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - What is a reasonable frequency response to shoot for? - Russ57 06:16:55 02/15/07 (43)

You can not post to an archived thread.