Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Whoa, Chopper87, as Jimi might say, it looks like you're *experienced*

Chopper87,

I do believe I envy you. I have never heard the Yamamoto A08-S, but damn! Miss Yamamoto has a mighty fine set of hood ornaments on her. That has to be one of the most erotic-looking amplifiers I have ever seen, and if it sounds anywhere near as nice as it looks, it must be wonderful. And the same goes for the PM2MKII. I've never heard it, but I have a friend who visits Japan from overseas a few times each year listen to the Exact and Feastrex drivers, and until he found Exact and Feastrex, the PM2MKII was the only fullrange that ever really turned him on. In fact, he has a love-hate relationship with Lowther, because he loves the PM2MKII, but he hates what (according to him -- I have no opinon on the subject myself) Lowther has become in recent years. Basically he turned to Exact and Feastrex to find a driver that could replace his ancient PM2MKII units that he keeps nursing along. He too uses his PM2MKII units in OB, by the way.

It has been over a year since he last came to Japan, and fully two years since he visited Feastrex with me. At that time Feastrex and Exact's Mr. Sano were still cooperating to produce what eventually became the Feastrex D6, and he went to hear the first prototype. At that point, my friend had already been discussions with Mr. Sano for quite some time about producing a driver very similar to that as a one-off pair for him. And it is interesting that although Mr. Sano was very much into dust caps instead of phase plugs, my friend was insistent on phase plugs in his one-offs, which is coincidentally the direction that Feastrex also ultimately went in. The sad part for my friend is that Mr. Sano got my friend's money and started to build the drivers but never completed them, and to this day they are unfinished. Mr. Sano can't finish them because he owes certain parts suppliers money and they won't do anything for him until he pays up. So my friend's units sit in Limbo . . . next time my friend comes to Japan we're going to visit Mr. Sano and try to pick up the available parts for my friend's unfinished drivers and then go beg on bended knee (I expect I will be literally doing that -- that's not just a figure of speech) for Feastrex's Mr. Teramoto to finish the drivers for my poor orphaned friend.

(The Japanese have an expression, "shiri-nugui," that is one of their great contributions to the world's linguistic culture. It means to clean up another person's mess, but the literal meaning is to wipe another person's ass for them. For some reason it is not considered an offensive expression even in polite company, although it always conveys the strong sense of being inconvenienced.)

I can't remember what my friend told me about why the PM2MKII units sound better than all the other Lowthers, including the PM4, but I can tell you that his explanation didn't sound anything at all like what you are telling me you heard from Lowther, and I bet he would say that the explanation Lowther gave you is a line of BS. (One of his peeves with Lowther is that there is no longer anyone there who really understands the Lowther drivers. According to my friend, there very few people who really understand Lowther, and none of them work for Lowther . . . )

Since he has not heard any of the new Feastrex units, I don't know how my friend would compare them to the PM2MKII, but I know he heard a huge world of difference between all the Exacts and the Lowther drivers, and likewise for the first Feastrex D6 prototype that he heard two years ago. He was not looking for a driver that would duplicate the sound of the PM2MKII, so it was not seen as a problem, but he was always very clear, there is nothing Lowther-like about these Japanese fullranges. I never heard anyone comment that the sound of the Feastrex drivers is evocative of Lowther. If you are a big fan of the PM2MKII, you might prefer the D5 or D6 to the D5nf. On any open baffle of manageable size, a helper woofer would be in order, especially for the D5/D6, as they are very highly damped by their monster magnets. But they are very fine sounding drivers indeed, and I bet you would love them. When I say, that, I'm extrapolating from the experiences of my friend, which seem to closely parallel yours. "Great minds run along the same track," and all that . . .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.