Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

There are quite a few variants of the field coil drivers available . . .

RRR,

There are quite a few variants of the field coil drivers available. Here are some of the variables:

Cone size: 12cm or 16cm

Exciter coil wire cross-section: square or round

Yoke & pole piece material: iron, iron/Permendur, Permendur*
* Permendur yoke & pole piece is milled from a single chunk of metal

Some of the above combinations can be delivered immediately, and some would require parts that are not currently in stock.

There are other options available as well. For example, One of their most enthusiastic supporters in Japan recently ordered a 9-inch field coil driver from them, even though such a beast does not exist yet . . .

I don't know what the prices are offhand (the only detail I need to remember is that I can't afford them, even though the prices are lower than they were in the past), but if you are really interested in knowing, depending on where you live you should either contact Feastrex directly or contact the appropriate local representative for your region. (If you don't know, it is no problem for Feastrex to forward your inquiry.) Chances are that even Feastrex would have to contact their parts suppliers before they could give you a clear answer on some of the options available.

If I ever win the lottery I may ask Feastrex to make me a pair of the all-Permendur units. The present specs are 22,500 Gauss (actual measurement, not theoretical) but only because they wanted an extra safety margin in the voice coil gap . . . Mr. Teramoto says that if he was to take the gap down to 0.7mm, he could probably get exceedingly close to 24,000 Gauss . . . not that it really matters except for getting into the Guiness Book of World Records. Adding one or two dB of sensitivity to a fullrange that's already 105dB probably does not make much difference in real world listening.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.