Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Church Of Olsonology...

Hey Freddyi

The design originated, as far as I know, from the Oct. 1962 issue of Popular Electronics magazine. A smaller cabinet for an 8" driver was featured, and plans were offered (by mail) for a larger cab for a 12" driver which is pictured in your post. The author was Roald E. Dybvig of Minnesota. As far as I can tell, the 12" version was never copyrighted (unless the mice ate the "C"). I've never seen the Weems version, but both seem to owe a lot to Harry F. Olson. The length dimensions of the baffle boards in the top manifold are not shown in the top view because a full scale top-down drawing was included with the plans. These dimensions can be easily extrapolated from the drawing however. It's a fairly easy cab to build, just a big box with a shelf in the middle, and a number of baffle boards. The only tricky part is the top manifold section, in that these boards can't be too tall (or short) so they can closely mate with the top when it is installed. I built a box extension on the front so that I could mount an EVM 15B. Using the original configuration with this 15"er ( constricted throat back horn with direct radiator front), this horn will go down to about 80 HZ. It fairly begs to be hot rodded though, and mine are barely recognizeable from the originals at 6 ft tall, and 250+ Lbs. being bi-polar with 6 drivers per side. Warning: big horns tend to get away from you!

Rev. Paul
Plywood Chapel, Church of Olsonology

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.