Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

I approve of the fullranger + 15" suggestion.

Unless the 15" or 18" driver it's expressly intended for vocal / wideband use, or has a good reputation as a wideband driver, you should probably plan to cross it low (under 1KHz).

Therefore, for a simple set-up I'd suggest:

An 8-ohm fullrange 6-10" driver, run down to the lower mids (somewhere around 200Hz).

Two bass drivers, in parallel (4 ohm minimum). Put a couple of big inductors in series with this - eg. a pair of the biggest inductors I could get locally would give about 18mH of inductance and 2ohms resistance. So < 50Hz, the amp would "see" a minimum of 6ohms resistance.

Personally, for the bass drivers, I'd let *price* dictate the decision. For OB bass, you need a lot of displacement. Two $100 15" drivers will have an easier time hitting a certain volume than one $200 15" driver.

The exact Qts of the bass driver doesn't matter hugely, since you can tweak them so many ways. If you get lower Qts drivers that seem bass-shy, you can boost the bass by:
- using Eq
- placing the baffle nearer a wall / corner
- placing the drivers lower on the baffle
- making the baffle bigger
- adding wings.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.