Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

System Details Re: Dayton IB385-8 Versus Hawthorne Silver Iris Augie

Mike Wrote:

"Can you post more detail about what the entire system eg why 250hz XO."

Thanks Mike--Oh boy can I (grin).

The starting point is I'm building a 300B SET (my first SET experience), and want to hear that fabled SET goodness hooked to a driver with no passive elements.

I decided to start with a Fostex fullrange, as a good bang-for-the-buck starting place.

Reading up, I found a lot of issues in coaching simultaneous bass, volume and clarity from a FR Fostex, so I decided to bi-amp to take the burden off the Fostex.

I was originally going to go with something like Bottlehead/Paul Joppa's S.E.X.y speaker--FR Fostex in small sealed box, dual inexpensive bass reflex subwoofers. But my love for dipole systems (Magnepan, Dahlquist DQ10) pushed me towards open baffle, and my desire for well integrated bass led me towards open baffle bass.

Which leaves me at my current bogey: digital crossover/equalizer sending highs to a 300B SET wired straight to an open baffle Fostex fullrange, and lows to a random sand amp wired straight to open baffle woofers, probably two per channel.

Bottom line is, the 250Hz crossover point is far from set in stone, but I would like drivers, particularly bass ones, that would allow me to experiment with XO points between 100Hz and 500Hz.

If a relatively low crossover point, say in the 250 to 350Hz range, sounds good, it will unburden the SET/Fostex combo, allowing higher volumes. Vocals are my main priority, so if moving the transition up towards 300Hz hurts the vocals, I'd set it lower.

My current choices are the Fostex FX120 and the Dayton 15" OB Woofer.

My thinking is the high end of the FX120 looks flat and extended, it has no whizzer to resonate, and biamping will effectively raise its sensitivity 6dB to 95dB, which I'm hoping will be fine with the 8W 300B SET.

The Dayton IB Woofer (part number 295-455, 15", Qts 0.65, Fs 20.8Hz) has smooth response up to 700Hz and very extended bass. Using Thorsten Loesch's Xlbaffle spreadsheet and plugging in a 40" baffle, I get +-1.5dB down to 30Hz, -6dB at 20Hz, before equalization.

So I hoping those two would be good fodder for experimentation--I could mess around with the digital crossover until I get slopes, frequencies and equalizations that I like. Then I could hardwire a line-level crossover with analog components if I wanted.

Of course that's all theoretical, and I've don't have the components to audition, so I'm just winging it as best I can.

So there are the specifics and my rational/preferences. All comments, insights, suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help you've already given me.

Best,

George

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • System Details Re: Dayton IB385-8 Versus Hawthorne Silver Iris Augie - Dr Deville 19:44:33 02/08/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.