Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: 3rd subwoofer placement.

Do you try to place subwoofers less than 1/4 wavelength apart? Or are you using the Geddes random placement scheme? The thing that always bothered me about Geddes proposed subwoofer placement (besides the localization problem you alluded to) is since it's random, you can't know response at any place in the room. It might be good in the listening area or it might not.

Geddes idea is that dense interference smooths the sound field, averaging the peaks and dips from room modes as well as interference modes between sound sources. That much I agree with. The Geddes subwoofer placement proposal a good idea in concept, but isn't guaranteed of success. I have found several random placements that fit the Geddes proposal and had huge bass dips in the center of the room, right where you would probably be listening. Some Geddes placements work, others don't. It's a crap shoot with Geddes scheme because it's, well, random.

I think it's better to evaluate the room and use specific placement, don't you? In that case, you can't have a one size fits all approach. There are a few general rules that can be used as starting points, but to know for sure what placements work in a specific room takes measurements or at least nodal analysis of the room and treatments. Without proper analysis, the Geddes positions are probably OK, but so are Welti positions. I can't say for sure, and neither can Geddes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.