Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Must they be high efficiency?

Edgarhorns are a good place to look, not free (what is) but they're excellent, honest-to-goodness, high efficiency speakers. Living Voice makes some good looking designs, as does Pi speakers, or some of the larger klipsches (either vintage or current). There's also behemoths like Zingali, or Westlake, or the old standby- big Tannoys.

If you're willing to build a kit, you could do a lot worse than the BK-16 from www.madisound.com, or, if you want to really get some good stuff, Dick Olsher's BassZilla is a fabulous design. I've never heard it, but I've worked with the same design principles extensively- he's not a squirrely amateur :) Hammer Dynamics, Silver Iris, Prometheus, and some others are available as pseudo kits.

My favorite reasonably priced tube-friendly speaker is the Hornshoppe Horn, excellent speaker.

No matter what your subjective experience with the Zu, they are full of it. They do NOT have 35Hz bass. Period. If they did, they'd be selling to arenas, and every pro application around: they break hoffman's iron law just for us audiophiles? I think not. They're a standard enclosure, MLTL IIRC. That driver won't even do 35Hz f6 on an infinite baffle.

If you like them, that's the important thing. But don't try to stick up for their bullshit objective claims with subjective impressions, that doesn't prove anything. I mean no personal rancor here, fwiw.

Why do they irk me so much? Because they represent what's wrong with many hifi manufacturers, and give those of us with some ethics a bad name.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.