Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: "All other things equal, a black color speaker cone will sound better than a white color speaker cone"

I dunno Christopher, those comments seem a bit too cryptic to yield much information. Gets us thinking though, so what the heck.

At least with the old JBLs, a white cone indicates that a black cone has been sprayed with Aquaplas. This results in added mass as well as presumably greater self damping properties. I have heard some mighty fine sounding Aquaplassed cones, such as the LE-8Ts in my old Lancer 33s.

The slurry from which cones are made is likely tan colored due to its wood pulp origins. The black dye or stain is an added component. As cones age and are exposed to UV they tend to lighten, sometimes back to a light tan color in the case of 1930s and 1940s speakers. The paper has usually weakened as well and will tear easily. A cone in this condition would have very different properties than a spankin' new black cone, but is generally worth much more to collectors. Hmmm.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: "All other things equal, a black color speaker cone will sound better than a white color speaker cone" - Steve Schell 09:02:43 02/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.