Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

As we say in the USA, there are nuts among the berries

Vince S, I am pleased to report that the opinions I quoted are those of a private individual and not from someone in the employ of an audio manufacturer's marketing department.

However, what is interesting is that this person does have some truly brilliant and innovative ideas for audio. For most of these he is able to provide perfectly rational explanations.

I have met more than a few people like that in audio. Some of the most brilliant and creative guys, who can build things that inspire admiration and even awe, also have a few (or sometimes more than a few) irrational ideas that seem to border on the occultic. And of course there is a large gray zone in between where I am willing to give people the benefit of the doubt (at least as long as it doesn't involve me pulling my wallet out of my pocket.)

However, maybe we shouldn't be too hard on them. Some highly respected scientists have also, despite (or perhaps because of?) their far more advanced and rigorous educations, come up with some speculative theories of the nature of the cosmos about which we could say the same thing, although perhaps most would be more charitable and simply point out that the theory leads to a paradox, or some such thing. In fact, some of the bizarre stuff we encounter in audio is probably, at least in part, a result of some ordinary Joe reading some of these far-out cosmological theories at the bleeding edge of science and being a bit too impressed for his own good.

I'm grateful to the eccentric audio geniuses around me; because of them my music listening life has been enriched, and I just shrug my shoulders at the stuff that gets a bit too bizarre for me to process without huge leaps of faith.

And as for the people who spend the entire inheritance from their rich uncle on audio "snake oil," while I feel sorry for them at various levels, there is also a part of me that says anyone so gullible should be just left in peace to enjoy the ecstasy that he found by listening with a $10,000 magical tuning pebble (blessed by the Dalai Lama himself!) inserted into each ear . . . and of course I also sympathize with the umbrage that people like you experience when you encounter the more egregious audio snake oil salesmen.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • As we say in the USA, there are nuts among the berries - Christopher Witmer 04:07:13 02/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.