Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Sometimes it might be better to spend a few more dollars..

I have the EC-24 crossover from Audio-Kits. A fellow music lover in our local users group has the Marchand, and I almost bought one as well, but found the Audio-Kits crossover first. The selling point for me was the power supply, which is part of the kit. That is a big deal in making it easier overall, instead of having to come up with a way to power the crossover. The parts included are very good. Better than the Marchand (but the Marchand is still a nice unit, to be fair). After building the EC-24 (which went smoothly) and listening to it for a couple of weeks, our users group got together for a bling listening test. We compared the EC-24 to the Marchand, a couple of homebuilts, and a few commercial 'PA' crossovers (Berringer, Rane and an Audio Arts). The PA units were not even close, sounding harsh compared to the EC-24, Marchand and the other homebuilts. The first place finisher was the EC-24, edging out one of the better homebuilts, with the Marchand coming in 3rd. The differences were slight listening to most of the rock music samples, but when we got to Classical smples, it was much more noticable. On Bernsteins 'Suite from Candide' (reference recordings RR-87), the EC-24 had noticably better dynamics than the other units, and did a better job on recovering the hall ambience. On 'A feather on the breath of God' by Hildegard of Bingen (MHS 5167500), the differences were again very noticable. Overall, this kit is very hard to beat, in my opinion, and our little listening test has sold a few more units to our members.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Sometimes it might be better to spend a few more dollars.. - SafeSax 08:22:16 02/01/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.