Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: RCA Compression Drivers

Well, SLM has it down pretty well, though I don't believe these drivers were produced into the 70's. I doubt even into the 60's.

The model numbers are confusing, but the basic differences have been pointed out- the phasing plug slits vs. the holes.

There is also a difference in diaphrams, which Bill Woods has measured (along with the slits vs. holes- again, thanks to Bill aka RCA Fan.) The diaphrams with sawtooth formers are different from the straigtht paper former.

Otherwise, you should be able to have some fun. If I remember correctly, you have the wide dispersion horn meant to shoot the sound across the bottom tier seats of the theater. The horns came with a corresponding narrower, higher horn that when mounted with a dual throat would hit the mezzanine. You may encounter some issues with the wide dispersion. In that case, Bill is making a conical horn specifically for this driver, as it is probably the ultimate sleeper compression driver out there.

Good Luck,

Jonathan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.