Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: What's the obsession with dispersion?

if you've met a speaker that didn't fatigue the crap out of your ears-- i'd bet you met one that somebody considered dispersion in designing- especially horns. most direct radiators (especially HF ones) have a fairly wide pattern-- but horns can get pretty squirrely in that department- so paying attention to it gets pretty critical because 'beamy' horns can be pretty miserable to listen to- not to mention sounding really different if you move at all-- fr'instance:

my first attempt at a horn crossover was set too low- so-- i couldn't move my HEAD when listening, or the image shifted, and to make it WORSE, when i was in the ONE listening position, it felt like somebody was augering my eardrums! not a good combo.. as things progressed, and i shifted the frequency response north (ultimately, by 1/2- 3/4 octave), life got a lot more pleasant, and timbres sounded like... well... music again. reason would probably be a more reasonably matched dispersion between the 2 drivers. not to mention the crossover was just plain wrong..

it's a wierd concept which without an ACTUAL example of, seems really abstracted.. but when it's done right, you DEFINITELY get it. but it's a concept that's PRETTY difficult to see initially without measurement gear- which i don't have- so i only ran into it through the good graces of the peoples around here who do- i just knew something didn't sound quite right.

d

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What's the obsession with dispersion? - stuck.wilson@gmail.com 05:09:16 01/27/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.