Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Agreed--I Think I Used Confusing Terminology Re: Passive ? I doubt

Hi Chris--

We are on the same page. I guess my "passive line level" crossover really isn't passive in the general sense. I'm speaking of inserting a filter composed of passive LRC elements between the preamp and power amp.

So is that actually an "active" crossover? I agree that putting passive crossovers between amp and speakers is to be avoided, for many reasons. I remember my first experience with active XOs, as a teen, in a high end store on Magneplanar Tympani's. The difference between the active and passive XOs was amazing to me--the vocals were much more clear and lifelike. Stunning, and still leaves an impression.

To steer the conversation back to something relevant to this forum, it seems active crossovers are a natural for high efficiency/fullrange systems, for it avoids the inefficiency of passive XOs, and the division of labor by frequency bands allows the sorts of flea power amps that are part of the motivation for efficiency.

Thanks again Chris for your support and info. I hope you don't miss my reply to your message below--I attached itself above yours in the thread. I asked about your experience with the sound of the heretical and cheap Behringer.

Best,

George

Yes, I see the same trends you do--particularly

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Agreed--I Think I Used Confusing Terminology Re: Passive ? I doubt - Dr Deville 19:23:42 01/25/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.