Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: If it helps any PR170?

Freddy, I am new to DIY speakers and haven't much horn experience. The little I do is with older Klipsch, EV, and Peavy PA type speakers. So keep all that in mind.

First the XT1086. I started off with the smaller XT120 as the XT1086 was on backorder. I was surprised at how nice it sounded. It wasn't beamy and didn't drill holes in your ears like so many of the older horns that I remembered. I was almost regretting obligating myself to buy the XT1086. But finally I got them and they were so much bigger that I thought I wasn't going to like them in my moderate sized room. The mouth is listed as 10.2" by 8.5" but it looks bigger:) I use the 18sound ND1090 compression driver and a passive crossover straight off their website. The price was too good to turn down but I don't know how the ND1090 stacks up against the B&C or Radian.

But I think they are wonderful. They don't beam or honk. They image very well. And the sweet spot is the entire width of the room. It really doesn't matter where you sit and you have to walk darn near through the middle of the speakers before it collapses. They have incredible detail and clarity that really puts to shame the dome tweeters I am used to.

I got the pr170mo more because a friend needed it than because I wanted it. But still it had a good reputation and I am very happy with it. I use it on an open baffle but I think it could be horn loaded or used in a sealed box. A very versitale nice sounding driver. Even though it does have useful output to near 10khz a careful look at the waterfall plots shows first breakup around 1K5 or so. I am crossing at 1,800 hertz and like it. A friend played around using it and the Heil tweeter with an active crossover and ended up liking about the same crossover point too so I feel okay advising it.

Right now I have borrowed woofers. They are 12" eminence in a bass reflex box. No doubt I need to hang an inductor or something on them to even out the rising response. But with an active crossover and a solid state amp the bass is okay and can play very loud, louder than my ears can handle and still stay clean. I have not been used to that with commercial speakers.

So for my first attempt, and even though I am not finished (I need woofers and an active or passive line level crossover) I am quite pleased with the results so far.

Russ
P.S I should point out that IMHO those that like the older horns may feel the new CD waveguides are lame sounding. They don't call attention to themselves and you can't really tell where the sound is coming from. You can play at insane levels without it causing pain (at higher hertz). You don't appreciate the volume level until you walk around the block and see how far away you can still hear it:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.