Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: I think both viewpoints have merit here...

>> Sony's marketing department has done a great job in marketing SACD to the audiophile community. My hats off to them for the marketing job they've done so far. DVD-As non-existent marketing pales in comparison. <<

I'm more concerned with sound quality and again, the kudos go to SACD.

>> You continue to assume that Warner is only getting feedback from the survey cards as their only source of information with no facts to back up the conclusion. <<

And you continue to provide no facts that contradict my conclusion.

>> The fact that recommendations have been made to standardize menus (or in DVD parlance authoring) shows that WG-4 as an industry consortium is paying attention to other areas of feedback, and responding to criticism to improve the product. <<

No, it shows that they're trying desparately to tie up loose ends of an ill-conceived format.

>> That you want your preference dictated is noted, but rejected. <<

LOL. What can I say? My preference matters to me. Obviously it doesn't matter to you, but your rejection doesn't make anything change about the situation vis a vis SACD's superiority.

>> My preference to date is for DVD-A, but I don't hate SACD, and own both of them, with roughly comparable number of titles on both formats. <<

Clearly, your early preference for DVD-A is attributable to the fact that DVD-A came out of the gates with certain titles you wanted in multichannel and SACD didn't. You were a surround sound enthusiast from the start, and made your purchases accordingly. Any fool can see that. I have a vastly different set of criteria I used as a music consumer. Suffice it to say I fully expected to adopt DVD-A during its development in the late '90s, and now wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Don't blame me, blame the WG-4. They had consumers like me in their pocket and they blew it.

>> I'm quite pleased with the results of DVD-A. I'll take my PCM sourced recordings as PCM, and DSD sourced recordings on SACD, thank you very much. Analog masters are fair game. <<

As you so eloquently put it: "your preference dictated is noted, but rejected". ;)
I believe there is something worthwhile in converting to DSD, even when the source is PCM.

>> Resampling older masters is of limited value, in the end you are limited the initial input -- any enhancements are not what was at the microphone at recording time. <<

That's your story and you're sticking to it. It's not my story.

>> I've heard the dCS setup myself on a couple of occasions. It's very nice, and hideously expensive, as are most great solutions.... The best I've heard it sound is with the LumenWhite speaker setup. <<

I've heard it only with the Utopias.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.