Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: SACD source, is old recording worth it ?

Actually, I see no need to make excuses for tape hiss. Yes it is present because of the technology of the day. As far as any watermarking that is audible(see, I am assuming it can be heard even though that debate is far from finished) well, I see posts that are against watermarking for "philisophical reasons". As far as the music industry is concerned, copy protection, via watermarking or otherwise is becoming mandatory. My comparison is not based upon whether tape hiss is right or wrong or whether watermarking is right or wrong but basically, if we have no choice, what will the future say about watermarking? To me there are semantical differences only, the end result is the same. Discs with tape hiss are much more intrusive to listening than the discs I have heard that are watermarked. If your logic of the limits of technology hold, then why do some "older" recordings have tape hiss and some have less? Maybe 10 years from now, others will not care about watermarking cause it will be the norm. I view it as hypocritical and comment because of it. Saying because one is inherent to the process of recording and thus is OK versus one is inherent to the production of the medium we listen to so is bad is splitting hairs. This, of course, is only my opinion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread

You can not post to an archived thread.