Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: I think both viewpoints have merit here...

Greg,

Sony's marketing department has done a great job in marketing SACD to the audiophile community. My hats off to them for the marketing job they've done so far. DVD-As non-existent marketing pales in comparison.

You continue to assume that Warner is only getting feedback from the survey cards as their only source of information with no facts to back up the conclusion. The fact that recommendations have been made to standardize menus (or in DVD parlance authoring) shows that WG-4 as an industry consortium is paying attention to other areas of feedback, and responding to criticism to improve the product. That you want your preference dictated is noted, but rejected.

My preference to date is for DVD-A, but I don't hate SACD, and own both of them, with roughly comparable number of titles on both formats. I'm quite pleased with the results of DVD-A. I'll take my PCM sourced recordings as PCM, and DSD sourced recordings on SACD, thank you very much. Analog masters are fair game.

Resampling older masters is of limited value, in the end you are limited the initial input -- any enhancements are not what was at the microphone at recording time.

I've heard the dCS setup myself on a couple of occasions. It's very nice, and hideously expensive, as are most great solutions.... The best I've heard it sound is with the LumenWhite speaker setup.

24/192K for more than two channels will have to wait for greater available bandwidth, it's beyond the DVD specifications for a 1x drive.

Regards,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.