Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Harsh?

About fifteen years ago (before I got smitten by the maggie bug) ... I never realized that Bose speakers were bad. All I had to do was listen to something better to realize what I was missing. Over the years I have gradually improved my system .. and each new addition lifted a veil that I never knew existed.

I had a Pioneer DV-414 that was modified by Dan Wright. (I did not mention this player in previous posts because I did not want to complicate things when explaining my setup.)

I compared the 9000ES and the 333ES to the modified DV-414 ... on DADs and redbook discs. On redbook discs it was no comparison ... even my wife laughed when I told her that the inferior player (the 9000ES and the 333ES) costs hundred more than the modified DV-414. The results were the same when I compared DADs (9000ES only; 333ES does not play DADs). The analog output of the DV-414 was very impressive.

I replaced the modified DV-414 with the Toshiba SD-9200 ... even fresh out the box the SD-9200 outshone the modified DV-414. I can only imagine how much better the SD-9200 would sound if Dan could get his hands on it. :-)

Your modified 9000ES will sound better than the factory 9000ES .. knowing Dan ... I am sure it will. But will it outshine the SD-9200 ? ... I would not know the answer.

Sadly, the toshiba SD-9200 does not get enough credit for what it really does well. Some folks in this forum use a DVD-V only player to make judgements on the future of DVD-A music ... strange.

Wish you were near where I live ... so we could compare our two players :-(

Regards.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Harsh? - vulcanman 08:17:55 06/23/02 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.