Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

PS: here is my post comparing a 24/96 DAD to SACD version

ANTILL's Corroboree - Vanguard SACD versus Classic Records 24/96 DVD

Posted by Teresa (A) on June 16, 2002 at 18:18:45

ANTILL's Corroboree - Vanguard SACD versus Classic Records 24/96 DVD:I have now listened to both thru Speakers (Infinity Reference Kappa 7's) and Headphones (Sennheiser HD 580).

The Discs:

Classic Records DAD 1029 24/96 DAD DVD - ANTILL: Corroboree Suite / GINASTERA: Panambi Suite - Goossens, London Symphony Orchestra - Total Playing Time 38 minutes - $24.99 Retail, purchased from DVD Planet for $18.75.

Everest / Vanguard Classics VSD 512 SACD - ANTILL: Corroboree Suite / VILLA-LOBOS: The Little Train of the Caipira / GINASTERA: Panambi Suite; Estancia Suite - Goossens, London Symphony Orchestra - Total Playing Time 54 minutes - $22.98 Retail, purchased from Allegro for $18.39.

The SACD wins hands down, the Bass is fuller and warmer, the timbre is more accurate, and sound stage a little larger. I was expecting it to be the other way around as the Classic Records DAD is an Audiophile Remaster! However, the Classic Records DAD does have more ambiance and transient snap, don't know if it is a difference in Mastering, EQ or difference in the Formats themselves? Any ideas anyone? The 24/96 DAD in one of the best sounding DVDs in my collection, and the SACD is one of the best sounding SACDs in my collection. I HAVE DECIDED TO KEEP BOTH, even though I hate duplication, the mixes are different enough that I can't give one of them up, at least not yet!

for Follow Ups click on link below:

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.