Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

SAD/DAD far superior to CD. Is SACD better again?

I have recently purchased some Chesky CDs and SAD/DAD disks. The DADs are 24/96 DVD-V disks. I put the output to my Bel Canto DAC2. The Chesky CDs are nice, but they are nothing like the DADs.

For instance, Livinston Taylor, "Ink", CHDVD 179, is amazing. It's like I can see into the music it's so detailed and natural. CD is more like a reproduction of the sound, while the DAD sounds more like the real thing. It is a subtle difference, but the overall effect on enjoyment is huge. This feeling of having a window into the performance is addicting -- I don't know if I want to buy many more CDs now. I've tried the Sara K "No Cover" DVD, and it is also wonderful, though I think they mixed her voice a bit too far back in the soundstage. I've tried "Art Davis, A Time Remembered, DAD-1001" from Classic Records, and I had a similar experience to the Livinston Taylor CD, except it was originally analog so the noise was higher. The high frequencies are much better on the DADs. It just sounds "right", instead of sounding like a CD player trying to get it right.

It is accepted that there is this difference in experience between CD and the high-res formats? Would I get more improvement going to a high end SACD player? Thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - SAD/DAD far superior to CD. Is SACD better again? - audioNeil 10:30:09 06/21/02 (67)

You can not post to an archived thread.