Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: 2-channel SACD vs Trying to Cover All Bases

Thanks for the follow-up Lars. I assume Ed knows more than I do about potential tradeoffs regarding stereo and multi-channel electronics. It still concerns me, however, as there are many things "we" didn't think made a difference for a long time - and then found out they did. In addition to multi-channel, there is, for me, the issue of putting other "things" in this box; e.g. DVD-A, DVD-V, etc. As "bmoura" says, it shouldn't be difficult to include DVD-V. I'm not concerned about difficulty, though. I'm concerned about "contamination" of sound quality (and ease of use, of course - I don't want to have to program a player on a television to use it in my stereo system).

A huge concern for me with regard to multi-channel (which rarely gets addressed) is room set-up. Most experienced 2-CH audiophiles know how CRUCIAL this can be; AND that speaker AND listener position make a huge difference. I'm using 400lb Rockport Antares loudspeakers and have tweaked and tweaked my room to get the best sound. I can make ANY change to the room (wall surfaces, positioning of items, window covering material, etc) and upset the marvelous balance (and purity) I've achieved. While most experienced audiophiles know the importance of room set-up, I also know (from personal experience) that many of them have great difficulty with this. Recordings, complexity of equipment, more wires, and more expense aside (none of which is a minor matter), I find it difficult to believe that speaker (and listener) position isn't going to compromise multi-channel far more than it's worth - at least in the vast majority of homes. I have no trouble at all believing the ambience and venue realism could be spectacular and addictive (if done right). I don't think the colorations imparted by all the other factors will be worth it to me, however. I've heard MANY surround sound video set-ups, for example; and none match the enjoyment I get out of my very inexpensive and simple 2-channel video set-up (separate from my audio system, by the way).

These are, obviously, just my thoughts on the format issues we are dealing with these days. These are exciting times for sure; but they are also very frustrating times for me and many others. Thanks again for sharing your conversation with Ed with all of us. I just hope he and others near the "top" of the high-end are aware of all the issues involved.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 2-channel SACD vs Trying to Cover All Bases - John 09:54:01 02/12/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.