Hi-Rez Highway

A recording revolution or back to basics?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ Hi-Rez Highway ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

The benefits of One-Microphone versus Multi-Microphone recordings.

I am a big fan of the Sound Liaison One microphone recordings, only problem is that after having listened to one of these completely phase coherent recordings every other recording somehow sounds artificial afterwards!

This text is from the Sound Liaison website;
"In order to avoid the phase artifacts I decided to make a number of recordings using only one stereo microphone: the magnificent Josephson 700s.
I did not use any kind of separation so that the musicians could clearly hear each other.

In a sense when recording with one microphone the mix is done before I press record.
I have to make the complete sound stage on the spot by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away as well as left and right in relationship to the microphone.
Listening to the results of this approach the advantages are obvious; phase coherence, perfect imaging, great sense of depth and superior realism.
Another advantage is that it forces the band being recorded to really play. There is nowhere to hide, no fixing it in the mix, it's now or never.
The reactions of the musicians are overwhelming. Bass player Clemens van der Feen said: "I never heard my bass like this before on any recording. Finally it sounds the way I always wanted".
Joe Whip wrote a 5 star review of our four "One Microphone Recording" albums on audiophile style "

Written by Frans de Rond

Follow Ups: