Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Great! Me, too!

I'm not questioning your preference for DSD playback vs PCM. Personally I have settled on 24/176 for convenience in editing and format conversion.

However, out of interest, have you converted your DSD files back to PCM using the Tascam software and compared the result? If so, do you still prefer the DSD version? Similarly have you converted a redbook file to DSD and compared back to the original and had the same preference? If so, then what you are hearing has more to do with the decoding phase rather than any inherent advantage of recording in DSD. dCS introduced DSD conversion in the Purcell (IIRC) and reviews were mixed between DSD and PCM upsampling of redbook. This could well have been due to changes in jitter through the additional set of transmission lines. WIth the Tascam software, this issue is eliminated.

The ADC in the DA-3000 samples the signal identically whether you select DSD or PCM - the difference is the whether the bitstream is fed to an additional decimation plus HPF stage or not.

Although PDM/PEM/PWM DACs were introduced in the 90s to overcome the linearity issues with the multi-bit DACs, in theory, 1 bit coding is fundamentally flawed due to the inability to adequately dither the signal without saturating the modulator - a multi-bit modulator is needed to properly dither the signal and avoid saturation. Lipshitz published a paper with the AES (2001) providing the proof to his assertion.
Regards Anthony

"Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty.." Keats

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Great! Me, too! - flood2 02:37:45 09/06/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.