In Reply to: CD player lens cleaner posted by email@example.com on July 20, 2020 at 04:34:48:
Having repaired literally thousands of optical drives I can assure that mistracking of the disc is almost NEVER caused by a dusty lens. The coils that control the focusing of the lens in the optical pickup block simply wear out causing skipping, interrupted playback,hunting, and eventually complete failure to read the disc at all.
In those rare occasions where the issue is a dirty lens, it is not the kind of dirty that a disc with a brush on it is likely to fix or even help. Years of exposure to smoke requires cleaning of the lens surface with a wet(with water) cotton swab. If surfaces inside the optical pickup are fogged from smoke, it needs to be replaced. If the optical pickup has dust inside blowing it out with compressed air might help. 50% of the time it doesn't.
In summary....you need to take the CD player apart and try cleaning the top of the laser lens with a wet(with water) cotton swab and then dry it with a few more. 90% of the time, that will make little or no difference and you will need a new laser to continue to enjoy your obsolete form of playback. A disc with a brush on it is even less likely to help.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - CD player lens cleaner - firstname.lastname@example.org 04:34:48 07/20/20 (23)
- RE: CD player lens cleaner - fantja 17:42:06 09/14/20 (0)
- RE: CD player lens cleaner - immatthewj 21:25:52 09/04/20 (1)
- RE: CD player lens cleaner - fantja 17:41:47 09/14/20 (0)
- RE: CD player lens cleaner - jaydacus 08:52:12 08/12/20 (2)
- Good advice, and while it is apart... - Victor Khomenko 12:31:42 08/13/20 (1)
- RE: Good advice, and while it is apart... - email@example.com 19:32:19 08/13/20 (0)
- RE: CD player lens cleaner - LtMandella 11:31:55 07/21/20 (0)
- RE: CD player lens cleaner - PAR 15:01:29 07/20/20 (5)
- RE: CD player lens cleaner - firstname.lastname@example.org 16:48:17 07/20/20 (4)
- Those things can whack the laser!!! - oldmkvi 09:40:04 07/20/20 (8)
- RE: Those things can whack the laser!!! - email@example.com 10:32:57 07/20/20 (7)
- So it's properly burned-in! Where - oldmkvi 10:40:58 07/20/20 (6)
- RE: So it's properly burned-in! Where - firstname.lastname@example.org 11:44:34 07/20/20 (5)
- Parasound - Story 04:56:19 07/20/20 (0)