Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Osmo Vanska, Carlos Kleiber

Vanska, baby! If you like Carlos Kleiber's approach to Beethoven's symphonies, you'll probably like Vanska - they are similar. The audio quality on all the Vanska/Minnesota BIS label recordings is outstanding.

Of course, you need the Kleibers as well, and Walter, Toscanini, Abbaddo, Bohm, Ansermet, Jochum, Boulez, von Karajan, Bernstein, Erich Kleiber, and Reiner. I know I'm forgetting a few. The only "bad" one I now of was the Bernstein perf after the fall of the Berlin wall, which I found ridiculously slow and self-indulgent. (Who you gonna believe, me or Bernstein? Don't answer that.)

You need 'em all, including those with awful sound, or transfers from 78's.

Here's a suggestion: pick a symphony (I'd avoid the 9th, because the choral movement almost takes it into different territory) and get all the recordings of it you can find. Listen to one each week, and *really* listen to it, phone turned off, in the dark, maybe twice. After you cycle through all the recordings, which will probably take half a year or so, start to re-listen to the different conductors to see how they approached it, what they brought out in it. When you're done, you'll be able to get *so* much more enjoyment from any performance of that symphony, it's really pretty shocking. There is no substitute for deep understanding of a masterpiece. Some say having a printed score helps as well.

Enjoy.

WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.