Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Tom - I appreciate your indulgence in responding so thoughtfully to my posts

But, as I read it, I think that your differences with what John wrote seem to lie in what each of you thinks is lost when going from DSD to PCM.

When John says:
Conversion from 1-bit DSD to multi-bit PCM is a lossless process inside the audio band. The only thing that is removed is the out-of-band noise above the Nyquist limit of the PCM system. Nothing else is lost. . .

Conversion from multi-bit PCM to 1-bit DSD is always a lossy process. The loss is due to the 1-bit truncation. This truncation introduces a very large ultrasonic error signal that makes the ultrasonic region unusable for audio.
And you say:
If PCM is desired/required, then these PDM bitstreams (1 to 8 typically) are then followed by low pass filtering (decimation) and conversion to parallel X-bit wide Pulse Code Modulation binary words. That latter process is most certainly a lossy process. Once decimation filtered, you can no longer reconstruct the original PDM (DSD if 1-bit) bit stream.

So. . . as I read this, I conclude that you're definitely removing SOMETHING in going from DSD to PCM. But what is it? Is it the out-of-band noise and nothing else, as John seems to suggest? I mean, in a way, you guys are kind of saying the same thing. Right?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.