Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Thanks for the explanation, but it DOES sound self serving. . .

Yes, I'm afraid that's to 2L's unfortunate disadvantage if they actually track the DXD output from their converters, and not the DSD doing an offline post processing conversion to DXD.

Morton has always been a DXD proponent, through the days of using their DAD AX24 and AX32 A/D converters, to their current use of Merging's Hours. All use Delta-Sigma modulators as front ends (the actual analog to digital conversion element), and employ onboard realtime 352.8KHz 24 bit converters and decimation filters for the DXD conversion, if that output format is chosen. This results in a lossy second generation output.

I have no knowledge of 2L's workflow, but I do hope they actually track in the fastest bit rate DSD (DSD256 in the case of Horus), then do an offline DXD conversion using Pyramix's excellent Aprodizing conversion algorithms, keeping the original DSD for potential future use. Any other approach makes little sense; throwing out the original higher definition PDM (DSD) format in the A/D converter box to keep the working editing format (DXD) output, where you could have both for just the cost of storage.

As I mentioned in my previous post, if you create two projects in Pyramix (a DXD and DSD) and load a DSD file in each, you can switch between each on the fly. Listening to the original DSD, then the same DSD file converted on the fly to DXD, and played out through the DXD Project Mixer, you immediately sense the added sharpness and reduction of some spaciousness details inherent in PCM. Glad to demonstrate to anyone passing through Boston.

Thanks again Chris

Edits: 07/18/17 07/18/17 07/18/17 07/18/17 07/18/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.