Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Interesting - I bet there will be demand for the unedited file you have too! [nt] ;-)

To provide some background for the recordings I make with Jared of his large orchestra projects; they're experimental and archival, using minimalist microphone alignments. They serve the purpose of providing an alternative minimalist ITU surround microphone alignment recording, as well as until recently, recording at DSD256. In addition, they serve as a session backup, and are the property of Channel Classics.

Channel Classics uses the proven microphone technique for recording orchestras used by all labels; a main array supplemented by accent spot mics placed within the orchestra. This technique, unlike the majority of Channel's much smaller scale projects with fewer microphones, requires mixing and balancing to derive stereo and multichannel recordings. This in turn, recorded in DSD, requires conversion to DXD for mixing. Once edited and mastered, the DXD edited master is converted to the various deliverable formats.

The recordings I make with Jared of the same sessions require no mixing and balancing for surround, since they're only five mics for the five surround channels. DXD conversion is not required for editing, with the exception of the average one tenth second of the edit crossfade interval.

Jared is contemplating editing the DSD256 recorded minimalist mic version, and making it available as a download. The edits I've made of the many takes (typically three playings plus patches) are without consideration of music values or interpretation, just that content that pleased me. Jared of course could not allow the orchestra to be publically presented unedited, so a released minimalist mic version will include the appropriate producer's edits, without DXD conversion, except for the mix to stereo,

A free mixed down stereo and native DSD multichannel sample of my version of the 1st movement's beginning is available on nativedsd.com in all the DSD bit rates and DXD:

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JLBFOMahler3-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-d-minor

Enjoy!

Tom

Edits: 07/11/17 07/11/17 07/11/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Interesting - I bet there will be demand for the unedited file you have too! [nt] ;-) - tailspn 18:54:53 07/11/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.