Hi-Rez Highway

RE: Regional restrictions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Hi-Rez Highway ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

" I am unsure why the record labels don't simply allow for this"

As my job for over a quarter of a century was licensing third party users of record rights I will try to explain.

For most of the major labels the local rights owner does not own anything other than the right to press and distribute copies of the recording plus broadcasting in their country. Other rights such as digital distribution by whatever means are either not owned by the record company at all via their contract with the artist (now less common) or are with the parent company, usually American. My experience was that the American companies were generally unwilling to to license such rights in other countries due to their unfamilarity with the relative monetary values involved and fear that a precedent may be set which may be used against them in their own deals in the USA. Easier to just say no instead of all of the work involved in justifying a business case that involves other territories.

OK I am now out of date but I believe that is still largely the case. Comments welcome.

Follow Ups: