Hi-Rez Highway

RE: Then I am really confused...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Hi-Rez Highway ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Charlie - I may be technically all wet, but from what little I know, I do believe what you are looking at is an alias of the original signal. My layman's reading of Stuart's technical papers is that he was willing to accept a certain amount of aliasing, perhaps high by other's standards, in order go get the time domain performance he wanted, all based on his tested psychoustic experimentation, of course.

So, what you may be seeing is precisely that instead of an origami unfolding or other bug.

My limited listening so far, which is of course subjective and anecdotal, makes me believe there is ample reason to apply MQA to a 44 or 48k Master, even if no higher sampling rates are available. In fact, I find that MQA has MORE to offer there vs. the non-MQA original than it does when comparing MQA vs. non- at higher resolutions.

Stuart's published graphs in AES papers and elsewhere attest to the fact that 44k has much greater "temporal blur" than at higher sampling rates, and that impulse response is cleaned up much more by MQA at 44k than it is from, say, 192k masters. My subjective impression is that MQA/44K sounds much more like native hi rez.

I have not done much native hi rez vs. hi rez MQA comparison, but I feel there might possibly be considerably less to be gained from MQA by a hi rez listener like me.

Follow Ups: