Hi-Rez Highway

MQA Loses Part of Spectrum on Some Tracks?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ Hi-Rez Highway ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Hello All,

I just ran across this interesting analysis of some MQA tracks on a YouTube video. This person found that apparently some tracks have difficulties "re-assembling" the double-rate information with the baseband (single-rate) information, leaving a gap in the frequency spectrum.

The track is from Beyonce and there is a big gap between 21kHz and 23kHz. Also note the excess energy in the range from 40kHz to 45kHz - we knew that was there from JA's measurements in Stereophile, as it is apparently part of the datastream where audio information is replaced with something else, such as signalling codes.

One YouTuber commented that the gap may have something to do with the original recording being a multiple of 44.1kHz, while the MQA FLAC wrapper apparently operates at 48kHz. In any event it appears that MQA can have additional losses other than the ones we already knew about.

I'm beginning to think that MQA actually stands for "More Questions than Answers".

As always, my posts reflect only my own opinions and not necessarily those of my employer or pet rock.

Follow Ups: