Hi-Rez Highway

RE: Please let us know how this works...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Hi-Rez Highway ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Compared to the normal CD quality option Sublime's main offer is the ability to buy downloads from Qobuz at a discount. A very good discount BTW as hi-rez offerings from other suppliers costing , say, 14 gbp are on sale to Sublime members for around 9 gbp.

Having bought the download Sublime then also allows that purchase to be streamed in hi-rez although the value of this escapes me as one then already has that recording in one's library.

It does not allow hi-rez streaming of repertoire that has not been purchased.

There is a further advantage as a year's subscription to Sublime is cheaper than a year's subscription to the CD standard option, the downside being that one has to pay for the whole year upfront rather than in monthly installments. Clearly the purpose for Qobuz is to improve cashflow. Therefore you need to be confident that Qobuz will be around in a year. Remember that 18 months ago they were bankrupt and on the edge of closing. They then found a new owner and there seems to have been quite a lot of money injected since if the new desktop player is an example. However I cannot find out who the current owner is and thus be in a poition to take an informed guess as to Qobuz' likely future stability.

You did mention to me a few weeks ago that you thought that purchases from Qobuz may only be played via the Qobuz app. I don't think that this is the case so long as the purchase is downloaded to your hard drive. Yes Qobuz does have the option to download into the app as well. The file downloaded to the hard drive is also not a straightforward zip file and needs to be unlocked with a freeware widget. I can't remember what it is called offhand.

Wish me luck as in 2 hours ticket sales open for this year's Proms season. It will inevitably result in my spending much of the day online in the Royal Albert Hall's virtual waiting room while all of the good tickets are vacuumed up by the ticket scalper's bots. OT, sorry.

Follow Ups: