Hi-Rez Highway

RE: Cary DMS-500???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Hi-Rez Highway ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

The Cary is $5000 but IMHO there are many other outstanding network streamers out there for well under $5000 from established brands as well as innovative newcomers. Additionally, since digital technology and features in this area are moving at a fast pace, I would be reluctant to part with a huge sum of cash for a streamer at this point.

But.... I would still lean toward a NAS / Network Streamer setup vs the proprietary Sony. The Sony is long in the tooth and way overdue for a refresh. The NAS / Network Streamer will be more flexible allowing you to stream to multiple network streamers of different brands and price points throughout your home, or allow you to try various newer network streamers over time while keeping your music infrastructure intact (your NAS).

I run a Mac Mini 'music server' direct to my DAC in the office but the Mini also doubles as a NAS when I stream over the network to my $$640 microRendu down in the basement. The tiny thing doesn't even have a pretty display like the Sony or Cary but that's not an issue for most people. We use iPads or other tablets to navigate our music libraries with a variety of Apps suited to one's preferences. I happen to use Roon.

ALL OF THIS, for much less than $5000 including the computer/NAS, screen (iPad), and streamer.

microRendu Network Streamer with iPad remote control running Roon App

microRendu moved to basement system driving PS Audio DAC. Carry my iPad down to the basement to control it.

Mac Mini in office system direct attached to DAC and acting as a NAS for streaming music to microRendu

Edits: 04/18/17

Follow Ups: