Hi-Rez Highway

RE: We must hear things differently :)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Hi-Rez Highway ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

My opinion was, as you can see, also qualified by a minimum price. You cannot do it for a few thousand bucks.

Understood. You'll find I have several components in the main system which meet your minimum alone. I think you'll find a number of exceptional two channel systems found here like that of inmate Mike Lavigne's that also meet your requirements.

Harry Pearson was a dear friend and mentor for over thirty years. He certainly believed in the value of MC and Telarc released a sampler of his favorite cuts called "The Absolute Sound SACD Sampler". In the liner notes, he describes in detail why he chose each track. He gave me a copy in 2006 and provided a personalized overview of his thoughts while listening during one visit. And while he had a wonderful MC system (cabling alone was ~$30,000), he always returned to what I also found to deliver a more realistic sound overall with the spectacular two channel systems in Room 3.

I respect and admire your Sound Labs speakers. I have heard them a number of times, including at the home of a recording engineer friend in a thoroughly treated room. That was a 5.0 configuration driven by a Meitner DAC in pure DSD mode.

Wow, five U-1PXes would run $220k by themselves. Deep bass not there? Something was wrong.

But, I do not think dispersion is one of them, since we cannot hear dispersion unless we have many more ears than two pointing at many more angles.

I continue to disagree. I think trained listeners can tell when a wavefront's shape is frequency dependent and demonstrates different amounts of indirect radiation - at least if their head is not locked in a vise. What I like most about my arrangement is that the soundfield changes very little whether you sit down, stand up, are close to the speaker, further back, in front or directly behind the speakers. That's the kind of coherency I sense with live, unamplified music. Like regularly hearing wifey play her baby grand in the living room.

I think our exchange is simply another example of how different our listening priorities are. Why some folks prefer box speakers vs horns or planars. Tube vs SS. And so on. I guess I also differ greatly on a comment found in your profile:

"I almost never listen in stereo anymore."

I simply cannot imagine limiting my musical tastes so profoundly. I presume you refer to true MC recordings and not "artificially processed" results like Bigguy.

Follow Ups: