Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Your post raises a corollary question

" Are you implying that CDs would sound better using the straight 16/44 setting? ".

Not quite as I am saying that the digital filter characteristics will determine the "ranking" of any one format over another where sample rate conversion is involved. This may not be the case using native hi-rez formats as they will contain actual additional musical information.

If Esoteric provide various filters that may be used with straight 16/44.1 files it may be that use of one will sound better with this format than upsampling it to DSD with whatever choice of filters you have there. However as each player manufacturer can implement its own filter designs there is no common ground. So even if I believe that upsampling results in certain subtle sonic abberations the net result may still be preferable over redbook in a given system . It depends upon your particular set-up ( and preferences). If you are fortunate to have access to an asymmetric or apodising filter for redbook then I would expect the native resolution to be preferable. However given a typical 22Khz brick wall filter with its attendant pre-ringing, maybe not.

My view would also be that if possible where upsampling is considered necessary is to keep it in the same domain as the original and to use only multiples of the original sampling frequency. So ideally I would avoid transcoding from PCM to DSD and for 16/44.1 use 88.2 or 176.4 sample rates. Hopefully your machine also adds 8 digital zeros to provide 24 bit depth. Again no additional information is created but this can be an advantage with many digital processors where they are designed to process 24 bit words.

I can only suggest that if you have been using DSD upsampling for a long time without question it may be worthwhile switching back to 16/44.1 just to check that your decision to use DSD was correct - it may well be but it will depend on the filters and the upsampling algorithm that Esoteric have provided.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Your post raises a corollary question - PAR 09:14:56 07/11/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.