Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Mahler 3: Need Help with High Rez Recording Versions

The most important thing to consider here is that this is one truly excellent performance. I loved it the first time I heard it, including especially the Alto, Gerhild Romberger. The relative qualiies of the various formats are mere quibbles, I am sure, compared to the excellence of this performance.

Eat your hearts out guys, but I have a non-commercial, native DSD256 Mch version of the same performance made by a friend and Grammy-winning engineer who works with Jared. It is completely unedited, and the performance is remarkably clean without any obvious faults. He used his own special mikes and equipment in parallel with Jared's. The result is spectacular.

However, my Mch system needs DSP for speaker distance correction, bass management and Room EQ. The DSD256 version sounds amazingly realistic but somewhat distorted spatially on my system. Merging Technologies had been using this non-commercial recording as a demo for their NADAC at shows.

So, I play it as I normally do DSD material via conversion to PCM176 with full DSP processing, where it still ranks as the best recording I have ever heard. My good friend and recording critic for TAS, Andy Quint, agrees.

I am going to also acquire one of these commercial versions also for comparison. This thread now gives me something to think about as to which one. Maybe, it will just be the SACD.

Incidentally, my friend recently gave me a file of the last movement of a Budapest Das Lied Von der Erde also with Gerhild Romberger. Awesome and perhaps even a tad better as a recording. My engineer friend agrees. Really looking forward to the whole release.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.