Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Not necessarily so...

The original recording was DSD64. All other rates are either upsamples in the DSD domain or PCM transcodes. None will contain more musical information than the original DSD 64.

Upsampling and transcoding can (and usually do IMO) produce unwanted artefacts which may be very subtle but may neveretheless be audible. So the simplest answer is to keep to the original recording format. However this is not possible here because, as with the the majority of DSD recordings, it has had to be converted to PCM for editing and then back to DSD. The latter process does not necessarily mean that any artefacts from transcodimg are obviated.

So, as all of the formats offered are compromised and as there can be no additional musical information in the higher rate conversions, two other factors become important.

The first is hardware i.e the DAC and how good the digital filter or filters ( if you have a choice) are with the particular format. This will have more effect upon the resultant sound than the format itself. In fact as far as I can work out the only advantage to upsampling is the ability to place the pole of the filter further outside of the audioband ( which may also allow use of a gentler filter characteristic albeit with lower suppresion of aliases). As the filter seems to be the trump card this accordingly provides an unpredicable situation for recommending formats on a general basis.

The second factor is cost. As the DSD64 version is less costly than the others and as it was the original format unless I had experience that one of the other formats always offered better sound with my particular equipment I would save my money and go for the DSD64.

Chris, that does not mean that your DXD version does not sound great. It does, but with your equipment. No guarantee that it will be better or best elsewhere.

NB: Out of interest I spent a merry hour or so last month converting redbook files to both DSD 128 and DXD. The result when going back to the original redbook was similar to removing a stone from a shoe. So nice when it (the upsampling) stops.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.