Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Mahler 3: Need Help with High Rez Recording Versions

This is about the recent recording of the Mahler 3rd with Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orch. I'm looking to buy a copy, possibly by download.

The 2 channel version is offered in:
DSD256, 128 and 64; and FLAC192, 96 and 41KHz. It is also offered as an SACD which I take to be DSD64.

The engineering description given by Channel Classics is:

The recording was originally digitized using the Grimm AD1, which operates at DSD64. The original session tracks were edited and rebalanced (which meant going through the mixer) in the only available format for that purpose; the Pyramix 352.8KHz/24bit PCM (DXD). Prior to the advent of direct digital delivery, the next step in the production process from 352.8KHz/24bit PCM would be the DSD64 edited master for SACD production. What we have done now is also make a direct conversion to DSD128 and DSD256 from that original DXD edited master, without going through any interim processing steps. Those DXD to DSD conversions are not up-samplings, as they would be going from one PCM sampling rate to another, for they are different encoding systems. PCM is a digital value sample based system, and DSD is a digital bit density modulated system. Conversion from any PCM sample rate to any DSD bit rate system is a remodulation, not an up-sampling. We feel there is an audio advantage to this process in using the original files so we give you the choice and you can decide. Jared Sacks

So, if I am reading this right the recording starts out as DSD64 and gets converted to PCM and back to DSD64 for the SACD. [I presume a .dsf rip from the SACD would be the same as the DSD64.]

Then the PCM file is converted to higher order DSD versions and presumably to the FLAC files.

As the original recording was in DSD64 is there any benefit to having the DSD128 or 256 versions?

As the mixdown was in PCM would it be better to stay with the FLAC versions?

Would appreciate if someone could shed some light here. Though Channel Classics distributed a sample in any version, it was an out-take with almost no music on it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Mahler 3: Need Help with High Rez Recording Versions - Mel 20:21:23 07/10/17 (96)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.