Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Just finished reading this, tonight.

Found a link at another hi-fi site. Me? Won't touch the stuff.

Some may like the sound of decompressed lossy digital with extra questionable artefacts thrown in for free, but that's not my cup of tea.

Doesn't seem very, well, hi-fi.

"No. I personally do not want this. So far, I have seen no evidence that what this is doing actually improves quality. "Time domain" improvements, if any, appears to be contingent on the idea that one believes these short filters can achieve the goal and are thus desirable. I do not see where the company has so far provided evidence for their claims. If there are improvements that can be made by some kind of proprietary time-alignment DSP, then just offer it as such instead of wrapping it into this unnecessarily complex encoding scheme. As for the data compression being beneficial... Well, since the announcement of MQA in late 2014, my Internet download speed has already gone up from 25Mbps to 150Mbps for around the same price. 4K HDR video streaming with multichannel sound is a reality. And Qobuz is now offering Sublime+ lossless FLAC audio streaming up to 24/192. So why bother streaming partially lossy 24/48 when you know technically full resolution, unmolested 24/96 or 24/192 can actually already be done and will only get easier and cheaper in the years ahead?

As I end off, I want to bring up again the obvious dichotomy between what MQA is doing here with their weak filters and what Chord is doing with their DACs like the DAVE. They're like polar opposites! Chord is using a proprietary FPGA-based, very steep, "brick wall" filter with literally uncompromised antialiasing using a reported 164,000 tap linear phase filter, and on the other side we have Meridian/MQA with their insistence on these minimum phase, "porous", weak filters desiring that DAC manufacturers should go this route (for a licensing fee of course)."

Big J

"... only a very few individuals understand as yet that personal salvation is a contradiction in terms."

Edits: 06/26/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.