In Reply to: Regional restrictions posted by Charles Hansen on June 6, 2017 at 14:20:09:
" I am unsure why the record labels don't simply allow for this"
As my job for over a quarter of a century was licensing third party users of record rights I will try to explain.
For most of the major labels the local rights owner does not own anything other than the right to press and distribute copies of the recording plus broadcasting in their country. Other rights such as digital distribution by whatever means are either not owned by the record company at all via their contract with the artist (now less common) or are with the parent company, usually American. My experience was that the American companies were generally unwilling to to license such rights in other countries due to their unfamilarity with the relative monetary values involved and fear that a precedent may be set which may be used against them in their own deals in the USA ( viz. DoJ). Easier to just say no instead of all of the work involved in justifying a business case that involves other territories.
OK I am now out of date but I believe that is still largely the case. Comments welcome.
Edits: 06/06/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Can't sign up for Qobuz Sublime+ from USA - Loan Arranger 17:19:50 06/05/17 (24)
- Regional restrictions - Charles Hansen 14:20:09 06/06/17 (5)
- RE: Regional restrictions - PAR 14:42:00 06/06/17 (4)
- RE: Can't sign up for Qobuz Sublime+ from USA - Isaak J. Garvey 10:32:15 06/06/17 (0)
- RE: Can't sign up for Qobuz Sublime+ from USA - PAR 19:22:15 06/05/17 (16)
- Looks like I have to fly to Paris for the weekend... - Ivan303 19:29:29 06/05/17 (15)
- RE: Looks like I have to fly to Paris for the weekend... - PAR 19:43:18 06/05/17 (6)
- The healthcare is better in France... - Ivan303 20:56:57 06/05/17 (5)
- RE: The healthcare is better in France... - PAR 03:06:18 06/06/17 (4)
- Loved the time I spend in southern Spain... - Ivan303 06:40:55 06/06/17 (3)
- RE: Looks like I have to fly to Paris for the weekend... - Loan Arranger 19:42:14 06/05/17 (7)
- RE: Looks like I have to fly to Paris for the weekend... - PAR 19:47:16 06/05/17 (6)