Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Digitizing old vinyl

I have heard some atrocious digital versions of analog classics I owned as a kid in the 60s. Two are Ahmad Jamal Live at the Blackhawk on Pear (probably a low-budget job, which has been improved upon) and The Blues Project anthology in HDCD supervised by former band member Al Kooper. The Pear suffered from very audible wow and clanginess, while the Blues Project sounded distorted in places despite what must have been a labor of love on Kooper's part.
1. Is the likely cause deterioration of analog master tapes during improper storage? How can such treasures be neglected?
2. Faced with such unsatisfactory results why not simply find a still-good copy of the lp (still sealed or well-preserved) and digitize the vinyl using a digitizing turntable? Once you have a good file to work from you can fine tune it, but if what you start from is garbage ... You aren't going to turn a photo of Dresden after the bombing into a photo of Dresden before the bombing via Photoshop.
It's never too late to turn back the clock.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Digitizing old vinyl - ph5y 12:20:46 05/10/17 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.